5 Steps For Writing Killer Affiliate Promo Emails
October 9, 2011 · Print This Article
I’m happy to share this affiliate marketing guest post by Steve Scott. Be sure and read to the very end.
As an affiliate marketer your goal is to build a responsive email list. Unfortunately most get this wrong. Either they pitch too many products or they’re scared to present people with an offer.
I think it’s easy to write promotional emails that make money. The trick is to do it without “burning a list.” Your subscribers are an asset. That’s why it’s important to implement a strategy where you’ll make money for years to come:
Step #1 – Know what Subscribers Want
Don’t just blindly blast emails to subscribers. Instead, know exactly what they want before hitting the send button.
How do you find this out? The quickest way is to do market research. Go to popular forums in your niche and look for topics with a high number of responses. Do this for blogs as well.
Your goal is to find out what problems are common in your niche. These are the challenges that prevent people from achieving success.
What if you get stuck? Just ask subscribers what they want to learn. Use these polling tools for this:
Knowing what people want is the #1 secret to writing killer promotional emails. Your goal is to tailor content (and offers) around the needs of subscribers.
Step #2 – Give Great Content
People join email lists to receive a benefit. Most don’t like getting hit with offer after offer. Remember this as you’re interacting with subscribers.
My rule of thumb is to offer at least 80% content to subscribers. You can do this in a variety of ways:
- Teach a valuable niche-related lesson
- Link to a recent blog post you’ve written
- Create a content-filled PDF and offer it to subscribers
- Give a link to training video and/or webinar
- Answer questions from readers
Promotional emails start before you ask people to spend money. Give people value and it’s easy to get value in return.
Step #3 – Use a “Mini-Launch” Sequence
Don’t just send a one-and-done email to promote a product. Instead use what I call a “mini-launch” sequence.
You’ve probably seen the big-time gurus use product launches. This technique can be applied to your promo emails. The goal here is to introduce the offer while giving value to subscribers.
For example, here’s a sequence I normally use:
- 1st Email: Identify the problem that’s solved by the offer. Use a personal story; talking about how you’ve encountered the same thing. Provide a few basic solutions but hint at a total fix in a future email.
- 2nd Email: Link to a valuable piece of content. Most affiliate marketing programs give away a value piece of free content. Like
a PDF, video, or webinar. In this email you’ll presell this freebie and provide subscribers with a download link.
- 3rd Email: Promote the affiliate product. This is where you’ll sell the value of this offer. Your job here is to leverage the goodwill you’ve built with subscribers. Give honest feedback about this product and tell people why it’s helpful to them.
- 4th Email: Follow-up with subscribers (Optional.) You can pick up additional affiliate sales by following up with readers. Usually this is a great time to use scarcity – Especially if a product owner is offering a limited time or quantity. Give them a reason why they should take action now.
Step #4 – Offer a Bonus
Another way to produce additional sales is to offer a bonus item. This will be something valuable that you’ve created. This technique is extremely
effective if it directly relates to the offer. I do this for any high-ticket offer. This technique provides an incentive for people to buy through your affiliate link.
Step #5 – Rinse and Repeat
Email marketing is the lifeblood of your affiliate marketing business. That’s why it should be treated with lots of care.
I’ll always offer content after a “mini-launch” sequence. Even if I’m just sending links to a recent blog post. The idea here is to remind readers that your
goal is to help them. You’re not someone who sees an email list as a personal ATM machine.
Rinse and repeat this cycle. Send an email or two that doesn’t promote a thing. Next, go through a “mini-launch” sequence. Finally, go back to giving great content – Starting the process again.
This process builds loyalty with your email list. It’s also a great way to make money.
At the start of this post I talked about the importance of creating a responsive list. Just follow these five-steps and you’ll have a killer affiliate promo sequence.
The best part? With this process you’ll have a long-term asset. This is an income source that can be relied upon for years to come!
Steve Scott generates a six-figure income from using email with his affiliate marketing sites. You can learn more about this on his affiliate marketing strategies page. Plus, he’s also created a step-by-step process where he reveals his income-producing techniques. This can be found in his Affiliate Marketing without the Bulls**t product.
* Steve’s got a free chapter/module from his ebook that you can download now without opting in. Get it here!